Sunday, October 22, 2006

My weight is a no no

Today, at lunch, my mother jokingly commented that she was praying that I would lose my appetite. I didn't find it funny at all. In fact, I was very hurt.

My mom is concerned about my health. She thinks that my excess weight will kill me, and she's probably right. But right now, I am not extremely concerned about slimming down. Or rather, it does concern me, but not to the point to do anything about it right now. I plan to do so when I finish school, in a couple of weeks, when times aren't so stressful.

My weight is a very sore subject for me. I don't like people telling me that I look fat or that I should thin down. It's not that I am not obese or that it wouldn't be in my own interest to slim my body. But I believe that my weight is a personal subject, one that doesn't require public discussion. I mean, it's embarrasing. It's like people telling you you've soiled yourself or something. You feel so violated.

No comments: