Tuesday, October 17, 2006

A kindred spirit

Back in 2004, writer Rachael Combe wrote an essay entitled The Guilty Bride, in which she explored her switch from a stauch feminist to a woman thrilled by the prospect of wedlock.

Before she met her fiancé, Combe couldn't imagine herself as a married woman. She only envisioned her future self as an eternal spinster. In her words, "It wasn't that I was against marriage. I was just open to the possibility that it wouldn't happen for me. I knew that for a white, educated, middle-class woman like myself, the statistical chances that I would marry were very high. But I figured that when you're playing musical chairs, someone is gonna be left without a seat when the music stops. Maybe it would be me."

Sound familiar? Of course. It's what I've been saying all year long. I keep thinking that I'll be a life-long bachelor. But this article has reminded me that it ain't over till the obese lady breaks into song.

No comments: