Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Life goals

I've been thinking about my goals in life. This is the list so far:
  • I want to learn more and improve my skills to be a more effective designer.
  • I want to improve my relationships with my friends and my family.
  • I want to lead a healthy life as much as possible.
  • I want to help people.
There used to be a couple more in there, but I scratched them from the list:
  • I want to get married and be a good husband
  • I want to have kids and be the best father ever
  • I want to be remembered
  • I want to have a legacy
  • I want to make a lot of money
They all seem too much whimsical and selfish. Let's go over them one by one.

Marriage. I've been thinking about it. I really want to do it. I want to find a girl who will love me for who I am, etc. But do I really want to get married, or is it just social pressure? And just why am I in such a hurry to be wed? Sure, I'm getting older by the minute, but that's no excuse.

Kids. Whoever said I'm qualified for that? And just what kind of an example am I gonna be? How can I demand that my kids study hard when it took their old man 12 years to graduate?

Being remembered, having a legacy. That is a reasonable thing when you've led an exemplary life. My life is just an undending screw-up. At least they were funny screw ups.

Making a lot of money. No kidding, Sherlock! How much time did it take you to come up with that wonderous gem of an idea? Of course everybody wants to make money. But, guess what? It takes business savvy, talent and lots of hard work to succeed. Just to things you don't have.

No comments: