Sunday, July 11, 2004

Yeah, I know

Once again, my blog has been left unattended.
Sorry. It’s just that nothing interesting happened for the last 9 days...
...NOT!!

You know, it’s the usual: too little time, a bit too tired, etc.

But here I am, ready to amuse your life with my mental wanderings and narrations.

So if you got a minute (or two)...


First off


You know, having a blog is weird.
Sometimes, if feels like I’m just talking to myself here.

-Well, of course you do, KZ, it’s a blog.

Wait, who said that??

-Relax, man. It’s just me, your brain.

NO WAY!!! Wait, does this mean I just went insane?

-Yep.

Oh, OK. Just checking. So, you were saying about my blog??

-Oh yeah... A blog is not a conversation. It’s a monologue: an endless rant about yourself, your life and how you view your world. Some blogs actually get to be quite good. I’m sorry I can’t say the same about your blog, my friend.

Whaddaya mean my blog is not good??? Have your read it?? Oh, right... you’re my brain. You were there all the time.

-Right. And with stuff like you’ve been putting in, it’s no wonder nobody’s reading it.

Hey! Last time I checked I had at least two readers!

-You and I don’t count.

Oh.


The kid in me is doing well, thank you for asking.


A few weeks ago, I went into a store with the firm intention of buying myself a fan. No, they don’t sell admirers in stores now (it’d be nice, though). I mean the appliance. The one I got in my room is ever closer to death by explosion. And I’d like to get rid of it a little before that, thank you.

But then, I came across a box in the DVD isle. It was the complete Pixar Collection: Toy Story 1
& 2, Monsters, Inc., Bug’s Life, Finding Nemo.
I could hear it beckoning from afar: BUY ME... BUY MEEEE....

It took me a whole 5 seconds to cave in.

Impulse buying is a weakness of mine. But I couldn’t be happier with my purchase. At last, I got to see Toy Story 1 (for the first time ever), and I also got to see the English versions of the rest (children’s movies are dubbed to Spanish in Kzanderallia). I loved hearing the voices of Kelsey Grammer, John Ratzenberger, Tom Hanks, Tim Allen, Eric Bana and so many others. Oh, and the picture quality is the best.

I love my DVDs.


And while we are on the subject of DVDs...


I got my DVD player a couple of years back, as part of a promotion by a local videoclub. If you bought the DVD, you could rent one movie per week for a whole year, for free. It was quite a good deal, even though you had to rent on the same day every week, and if you happened to miss a rent date, you couldn’t get it back. That year, I got to see about 48 movies. It was a blast.

The DVD player, however, was a bust. The remote doesn’t work properly. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Apparently, the TV creates some crazy interference. At first (true to my schooling in home appliance repair), I tried jiggling it like crazy. For a time, it was good. But eventually, I got tired and got the dang player to the repair shop.

But, once I got it to the shop, the apparatus worked perfectly, without so much as a glitch. You could play, you could rewind, you could pause. It was beautiful. The repairmen said nothing but looked at me with the glance you save for the fool that says that his computer is not working... and hasn’t even tried turning it on. Full of embarrassment, I packed the player up and headed home.

Of course, once I got it back, it started malfunctioning. So I went back to the shaking and jiggling to set it straight. More than one time I wanted to throw it in the middle of the street, but refrained myself.

In the end, I settled for giving it a new location, far away from the TV. It isn’t a perfect solution, but at least the violent instincts towards it have stopped. And that is always good.


The decay of friendship


Last Thursday, I realized that I hadn’t seen a certain friend of mine since he got hitched, a couple of months ago. And he wasn’t alone. There were a few others that hadn’t been seen in about a month. So I emailed each and set up an urgent meeting at the nearest taco place. Friday, at 20:00.

Only three out of seven attended. Kinda bummed us out. Specially since my married friend was among the not present. Made us think about how those four valued our comradeship. It doesn’t look good, lemme tell ya.

Some people just don’t realise how much work goes into a friendship. You have to set time aside for friends every now and then. You have to talk over the phone at least once every two weeks and meet at least once every month. It can be quite difficult when you already have your plate full with other affairs. This can be done if both people value the relationship. But if that isn’t case, forget about it. This can be hard to swallow, the fact that you just aren’t relevant anymore. But it happens. The main thing is not to get angry over it. Rather, move on. It’s not easy, lemme tell you. I hate losing age-old friends. But if they don’t want you in their life, there is not much you can do about it.

Right now, I am left with the resolve to focus on the friends I do have, and hold on to them.
They won’t get away. EVER.

Ok, that sounded a little bit creepy.  



No comments: