Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Me and cell phones

After almost two years of wear and tear, my cell phone died this year. I considered my options:
  1. I could repair it, but it would cost roughly the same as a new model.
  2. I could buy a new model, but I’d lose my cell number (which I’ve been using for the last 4 years)
  3. I could switch companies and activate one of my dad’s phones.

You see, my dad has a contract. He pays a monthly fee and he gets a new phone every 18 months. The old phones are usable, if you turn them into prepaid phones. And that is what I did.

I thought it was a sweet deal, since the activation fee was about 20 times less than buying the cheapest phone available. And the reactivated phone wasn’t all that bad-looking. For a while, it was good. Being in the same phone company for the first time, my girlfriend and I could even send each other text messages right from our phones and everything. Life was good.

But then, I must have done something to offend the cell phone gods, for their wrath started showing its ugly face in the worst way possible: my reactivated phone started to malfunction. It started to lose the signal. And anyone who’s ever used a cell phone knows that a cell phone  that loses the signal is almost as bad as having no phone at all. Maybe worse.

So I took it up to repairs. They ‘changed the software’, whatever that means. It was a big wad of cash, but still less what it would cost me to get a new phone. For a while, things got back to normal.

Then it went kaput. Lost the signal for good. I called the company, and they insist I take the cell back to their repair shop. Apparently, it needs to ‘have its software changed again’.

So I did the only logical thing: I cursed like hell. Then, I did the next logical thing, which was going back to my original cell phone company and buy a new phone.

With so many phone changes, people will start thinking I’m hiding from somebody.

No, not from you.

Really.


Make way for the Micro Phone!*

On Sunday, my girlfriend got fed up with me not having a decent phone, so she and I went phone-shoppin. She even put up half so I could get a cool new one (Otherwise I would’ve gotten the cheapest one possible) Instead, I got the Panasonic GD55. This phone is the smallest thing ever. Even smaller than Zoolander’s phone. It’s so small that it could fall right into my ear if I’m not careful.

I still have to put in my phonebook. I think I’ll have to use tweezers or something, cause these buttons are tiny!! Also, I still have to work the hand position. I still get cramps from holding it wrong.

People worry I’ll misplace Tiny Phone. And considering my history with small, expensive objects, their worries are dignified. That’s why I got Tiny a very nice leather beltcase. He looks sexy.
 
You know, it’s weird. I look at Tiny and it’s like looking at a baby phone. He’s so cuuuute!!
Is this what having kids is like?


*A tiny header for a tiny phone.

No comments: