Thursday, July 01, 2004

A jumble of sorts

Let’s try something new.
Instead of a mess of little blog entries, I’ll make ONE BIG ONE, with chapters.

CHAPTER ONE:

Army Day


Today is the day when the glorious Kzanderallian Army celebrates it’s own day.

Critics say that such a small nation as Kzanderallia doesn’t really need an army, and that it sucks too much of the national budget without tangible benefits.

Nonetheless, I love Army Day.
Because of it, I get the day off!!


CHAPTER TWO:

The Breakfast Club


My two best friends at Lexcorp had their birthdays this month. Instead of buying them presents, I took them both to breakfast today. We were set to have the breakfast at 7:00, so we’d be done at 9:00 and each could spend the rest of the Army Day as best possible.
But things rarely come off as planned.

Here’s the breakdown:
7:15 I get up, a fashionably half hour late.
7:25 I finish getting dressed. I think both shoes are the same color. No time to check!
7:35 After realizing that I barely have K$ 20 (Kzanderallian pesos) to pay for three breakfasts, I decide to drop by the ATM.
7:37 I find out have only K$ 107 on my account. I need about K$300, fast.
7:45 Hit up my girlfriend for money. She hands over K$200. Isn’t that what a loved one is for?
8:12 I am finally on my way to pick up the first passenger, who happens to live on the other side of town. I decide I really need to make friends around my block.
8:16 Impatient people are starting to call, making sure the breakfast thing is still on. I am grateful, for I really needed the extra pressure.
8:25 I miss my exit. Highways are fun!
8:32 back on track.
8:36 Human cargo secure. On to the next pick-up point.
8:45 Everybody is in the car, we head out to the restaurant.
9:15 After unsuccesfully peddling the benefits of McDonald’s EconoDeals, we head out to an Italian restaurant. My friends are such snobs.

After that, everything went smoothly, despite the delay. We settled in, we ate and talked and talked for two straight hours. I love these guys. The breakfast was worth every penny.


CHAPTER THREE:

The Diploma Factory


My girlfriend’s sister, Val, needed to give a diploma for a teacher of hers. Knowing that I am a famous designer, she asked my girlfriend to enlist my help in making one. Graciously I agreed. So I fired up the design app and used my amazing skills to produce a such a diploma as few mortals have ever seen. Val was delighted and thanked me immensely.
I wonder if she’ll be so grateful after I bill her.


CHAPTER FOUR:

Getting some food in


Designing diplomas can make one very hungry, so I threw my girlfriend in the trunk and drove to the nearest food court. It is in times like these that I despise being on a no-cheese diet. But hey, it could be worse: my girl has a no-salt diet (don’t ask). So I settled for a Phily Steak Sandwich (no cheese) and Ivy had a chicken bagel (just lettuce, herbs and the chicken). Iv actually had to take it back, ‘cause the bagel people added cheese to it. They kinda scraped it off the bun, but there still was cheese everywhere. It was partially her fault, since she didn’t specifically asked for the cheese to be left out. But the Bagel Makers booth was so lame that it didn’t have a complete menu, so Iv couldn’t really know there was cheese in the mix till it was too late.

To make up for such culinary frustrations, later we had a big chunk of chocolate cake. Luckily, none of us is in a no-sugar diet, like my dad. Poor guy.


CHAPTER FIVE:

A bout of materialism


Then we strolled around the mall looking at things too ridiculous or too expensive to buy. I got me a fake Zippo for about a fifth of the price of a real one. That’s OK since I don’t really use lighters so often, being a non-smoker and everything. But I believe that every man should have a lighter at hand, for emergencies like lighting up firecrackers and whatnot. And a knockoff is more than able for the job. Hope it doesn’t blow up on me, though.


CHAPTER SIX:

Chillin’


All that walking around stores can get tiresome. So we headed to my girlfriend’s. We talked, read together, we even cuddled a bit.
Unfortunately, most of the times I end up being snuggled by Iv’s crazy dog. Dog drool all over, not a pretty sight.
Regardless, it’s my favorite time of the week.


CHAPTER SEVEN:

The crazy things I do for movies


So at 20:30, I got to my parents’ to make a short visit before bedtime. Or so I thought.

You see, since most people were having a day off (being Army Day and everything), movie theater entrepreneurs decided to milk the Spiderman 2 premiere for all its worth.  So they had dozens of showings all over the city. People came by the hundreds. Everybody wanted to see the movie.

So did I, but had decided against it because I loathe crowds. But the movie freak in me triumphed and at 21:05 I grabbed my sis and headed to the closest cinema, hoping to catch the last showing, which was at 21:15. We got there at 21:11, and dashed to the ticket booth. And then, we encountered... The Line.

It was humongous beyond measure. It was about a block long and twisted everyplace trying to fit all the people in the miniscule space available. Any resistance would be futile, so Sis and I took our places at the end of the line and waited for about 15 minutes more for the line to move, finally.

Unbelievably, we managed to get ourselves really good seats in the back, to the left. Apparently, most folks wanted to take up a place in the central seating area, and forgot about the rear.  That’s how my sis and I were able to make our famously astute comments about the movie, without interruptions from annoyed moviegoers. They were truly great seats, so no innocent blood was spilled.


CHAPTER EIGHT:

Making amends


My girlfriend is kinda pissed. She wanted to go with me to see Spiderman 2, but since it was a last-minute kind of thing, she couldn’t come with us. No biggie: the movie was great, so I wouldn’t mind seeing it for a second time.

Which is not the case with Matrix Revolutions. Iv wasn’t with me when I saw it first, but I despised it so much I can’t bear to see it again... Not even for her.

I guess that one she’ll have to rent.



No comments: