Thursday, July 15, 2004

Pass the 'dunce' hat

I'll admit, I'm not the most alert person around.

But yesterday I outdid myself.

 

There was this very interesting Science Fiction Festival going on this month. Since it's gonna be impossible for me to attend it fully, I chose the day with the most interesting activities: I decided Wednesday would be the best choice.

 

So, yesterday off I went, got to the place without a hitch, parked the car and everything. The price at the parking lot was kinda steep, but I thought, "What the hey, I'm gonna be here quite a while, so it's best if the car is well-guarded."

 

I got to the building where the Festival was being held. It was closed. No wonder, since I was an hour early. With so much time in my hands,  I decided to kill some of it by strolling around the nearby blocks. After fifteen minutes of walking, I got tired and bored, so I went to a nearby library and spent the rest of the overtime reading some mags. They even had A.I. playing on DVD. How appropriate.

 

Well, as you can imagine, I lost track of time. When I realized it, I was five minutes late!! Cursing my dumb luck, I dashed back two blocks to the building where the Festival being held. I was quite frustrated, because getting a good seat was out of the question. Now I even had to worry about getting any seat.  When I arrived, gasping for air, the bulding was... closed.

 

Had the Festival been postponed?? Hadn't seen anything like that on the news...

 

Then, a young fellow, who works there walked right by me. I stopped him and asked, "Hey, what about the Sci-Fi Festival??"

 

He looked at me, perplexed, and answered, "Nothing, it's being held next week, just as planned."

And he pointed at a poster on the wall.

 

There it was, as clear as day:

SCI-FI FESTIVAL, FROM JULY 20TH TO THE 23RD, 2004.

 

It was a Wednesday, alright: next Wednesday!!

The worst part of it is that I must've seen that poster about three times when I first arrived. I only checked the day, not the date.

I'm such a dufus.

 

But, it's funny. People are always giving me heat 'cause I'm always late for stuff. Now I showed up a whole week in advance!

 

 

No comments: