Tuesday, June 22, 2004

In Purgatory

This post's title was originally gonna be: "In Hell", but it was a bit much, for I this is a place that certainly has a lot of dread and dispair, but it has its joys as well.

I am talking about work.

Although not exactly Paradise, my job at Lexcorp is usually bearable. The pay is OK (could be better, thou) and the hours are nice. I usually get off work about an hour and a half before the rest of the poor slobs elsewhere. This is good, 'cause I get to beat the rush hours, but I specially like it because it enables me to take on part-time employment at Culture Publishing House, which has allowed me to balance my budget and sustain a decent lifestyle.

Best of all, both jobs are in design, so I actually get paid for doing what I learned in school.

So everything is just peachy, right?? Think again.

Lately, life at Lexcorp has gotten harsh. Here's why: Every six months Lexcorp churns out a compilation of the work done in that amount of time. Every "book" is in fact composed of three to four volumes. And each volume is 300 pages long, solid text.

That wouldn't be a big deal, except for the fact that work on said publication had been abandoned for about three years. Now the powers that be want the collection up to date by August. Problem is, that means 32 volumes, or about 9600 pages, total.

Right now, we are currently a month behind schedule. My boss is a total wreck, and keeps pressuring me to work faster and harder. As a result, I am tense all the time, my mood is lousy and I'm starting to develop a nasty twitch on my left eye.

Just last week, my doctor asked me to reduce my stress levels. Now, I guess THAT will have to wait.

No comments: