Monday, June 14, 2004

Get a life. Period.

A few weeks ago, I came to the lunch area at work to find a couple of women in what seemed to be a normal session of gossip.
But this was no ordinary chitchat:

-Well, Deyanira is such a nice girl, not like Lukia.
-Did you know that Lukia once cheated on her boyfriend with his best friend?
-I think she never loved Nosros. I know for a fact that she hooked up with him just for his money.
-Really??

It took me a while to realize that they weren’t talking about actual people, but characters on a soap. A soap!!

I just don’t get soaps or ‘daytime dramas’, as they’re also called.

I find them kinda absurd. Everything is so over-dramatized, and the plot twists are so outlandish. Usually, script is bland and the characters are lame and stereotypical.
But that’s ok. It’s how the genre is.

What I don’t get is how people are so willing to tune in day after day for months, even years. Don’t they have other things to do?
Are their lives so empty, that they need to live other people’s live instead?? Who knows.

But hey, to each his own. If people want to spend countless hours in front of the TV, that’s their choice to make. Personally, I couldn’t do it. I can’t stand long, endless stories.
I like to get to the point fast, and want my stories to do the same. Also, it seems as kind of a slavery of sorts.
No thanks.

It kinda pisses me off, though, when those people start talking about what the characters did on the last episode, like those ladies in the coffee room were doing.
I badly want to stand up and shout: “GET A LIFE, LOSERS!!”. So far, I’ve always managed to refrain myself.

But I don’t know for how long I’ll be able to.

No comments: