Monday, August 07, 2006

Finding a crowd

Nowdays, most of my friends are either getting married, having kids or a combination of the two. Of course, I'm thoroughly glad for them, but what this means for me is that it's becoming harder and harder to find somebody to hang out with.

It's not as if I am running away from my married friends, but they have a way to make a single guy like me feel banal. While I talk about going to the movies, and hanging out, they are talking about house payments and child care.

I tried hanging out with younger folk, like my cousin Paul and my niece Lannie. At the beginning, I felt younger, revitalized. But in the end, the 10 year gap proved to be way too deep. I felt... ancient. At 30, I just lack that feeling of wonder and excitement you have when you are 20 and the world is just ripe with infinite possibilities. Life is just simpler when you are young. It's not that the world becomes more complex as you grow up. You realize it bit by bit.

Too young to hang out with folks my age, and too old to hang with younger people. What a dillemma, huh?

Luckily, I still know a few folks my age who are still single and willing to par-tay.
So I'm still OK.

At least until they get married too.