Saturday, April 28, 2007

Not my cup of tea

Well, I'm a bit baffled, and I'll tell you why.

My friend Ted decided to get married, in another city. Usually, that's a short trip, but the road is getting fixed, so a 45-minute ride becomes a 90-minute nightmare. When we got there, the church had no parking space, so the car had to be parked two blocks away.

After the ceremony, we were tired, we were hungry and our feet were killing us. So if there was ever a time when a reception was more than welcome, it was then and there. Sitting down for a little wine and food would've been totally awesome. But herein lies the rub: There wasn't gonna be a reception, just a cocktail. A glass of sparkling wine, a few canapes and some cake. At least, I think they had cake. No chairs in sight.

Maybe it's just me, but that's no way to celebrate a wedding! A wedding should be celebrated with big bombast! Lots of wining, dining and dancing! After all, it's one of life's biggest moments! But, if you are inclined to give just a cocktail... would it be too much to ask not to make your guests drive 90 miles for it?

No comments: