Thursday, March 01, 2007

Survived my first dance class!



Did I tell you I was gonna take some dancing classes? Well, I've always thought that dancing is one of the fundamental skills a man must master in order to be called a man. I read somewhere that in some animal species, all the males are required to do a dance in front of the ladies. And the ladies choose their mates according to their dancing abilities. Some of this is also true in the human realm.

Dancing has been a part of my life since I can remember. My parents loved to dance, and they did it so well, that watching them was always a delight. Along the years, I've been able to learn a few moves here and there, but I'm still a crappy dancer overall.

So I decided to start attending dance classes down at the gym I go to. (Did I tell you I went back to the gym? Oh well, that's a whole other post). The teacher is very young and gorgeous, which helped me take the plunge.

Well, today was my first day. I was nervous. Was I gonna be the only dude? I had visions of me making a total fool of myself. Turns out my fears were unfounded. There were a couple other dudes in there, and everyone was a beginner, so even though I sucked, I wasn't the worst dancer in the room.

We learned five basic steps for salsa, and two ways to spin. It was a bit difficult at first, but then I kinda got it. Then the steps became more and more complicated, and I had a lot of trouble keeping up, but in the end I had fun.

I must say, though, that salsa can be exhausting. I could feel my legs becoming heavier and heavier by the minute as my stamina evaporated. I looked at the teacher: she hadn't even broken a sweat. Just when I thought I was gonna drop dead, the class finished and I was released at last.

I was so utterly tired that I could barely breathe, much less move. I dragged myself out of the dance room, and drank about a liter of water in one sip.

I can't wait for the next class.

No comments: