Saturday, December 23, 2006

Shot down and I feel fine

Gather 'round, my kiddies, lemme tell you a story about a girl named Addie. She works as a secretary down at Lexcorp, and she's a really nice person. She's been a good friend to me for the last four years. After I became single once again, I began to feel attracted towards Addie. So I decided to act upon my feelings, and I got myself all gussied up and drove to her house. When I got there, I (very awkwardly) managed to get my point across: I liked her, REALLY liked her.

She didn't actually say no, but she did say the word 'friend' about a trillion times (You're such a really great friend... I've always considered you to be a special friend, etc.). She handled it really well, I must say. I was rejected, but in a very smooth and caring way. If I ever have to turn somebody down, I think I will use this very same strategy.

But a rejection is a rejection and it hit me like a ton of bricks. It was like a little stab at first, but when I was driving home with my tail between my legs, I got really depressed and all my self-loathing surfaced: She's right, why should she choose you? You are an ugly, worthless freak... You don't even have a decent job, you are a has-been, you should do the world a favour and off yourself, you pathetic piece of trash, etc. I wasn't mad at her at any point, it was all against me, for being such a pathetic suitor.

Being that my state of mind, I did the only logical thing I could think of: getting some booze in me. I called a friend of mine, and joined him and his buddies at the bar they were at. Nothing like taking a depressant when you are depressed, right? In the end, I never got past a good buzz, which is good. At the end of the night, I talked with one of the guys who's even unluckier in love than me: he's 28 and he's never had a girlfriend. Had my life been a bit different, I'd be him. Talking to him was really good, put me back on track.

Thinking over the evening's events, I realized that I wasn't really interested in Addie. I just wanted a girl, any girl. Loneliness can be tough. But I gotta be better than that, for the sake of everyone involved.

No comments: