Friday, October 01, 2004

Oh arsi, how I wish you were wrong about this one

Recently, I was over at Bunny Corner and I was reading a post where arsi said that Haloscan, the company that provides the commenting service in my blog, was deleting all comments older than four months. I decided to checked this for myself and was dismayed at the results. At least one comment has been erased so far, but it was an important one: it was my very first comment ever. I even made a post mentioning that very fact. Now that posting is completely pointless, since the comment that originated it is gone. Many precious gems by dpenguin, Taz and arsi (yes, the bunnymeister himself!!) will be lost! Even though I haven’t read some of those comments in months, that doesn’t mean that I wouldn’t mind if they disappeared forever.

I must do something. But what?

My guess is that I’ll be switching to Blogger’s own commenting system. It came out about six weeks after I started blogging, and I tried switching back then, but it was a mess. The code was mixed up and I ended up with two commenting links. With Galoot’s help I managed to separate the two. In the end, I stayed with Haloscan, cause it displayed comments in a separate window, without having to leave the page you were in. Also, the interface was way easier to use and manage than Blogger’s. But no feature is too cool for me to allow further massacre of my beloved comments.  

I read how jaymeekaye copy-pasted each and every comment she ever got from Haloscan to Blogger when she switched.  I admire a person willing to perform such a tiresome, monotone task.
Maybe I’ll ask her to switch my comments for me.


Insert your comment here


Visitor comments are very important to me. When I see comments after one of my blog postings, it tells me that people are
a) reading this blog, and
b) so interested in what they read, that they feel compelled to write about it

Writing a blog isn’t easy. I have to turn off my TV, walk all the way to my room, turn on the computer, fire up my mail app, and write.  
It sure is nice to know that all this exhausting effort isn’t a total waste.

 

No comments: