Friday, October 20, 2006

Therapy on wheels

I just needed a breather today. A lot of stuff went thru my mind, and I just couldn't handle it. So under the guise of returning some videos, I went driving for an hour.

You see, lately, my car has become my very own therapy room. I begin talking to myself, as if I were telling my life to an unexisting therapist. Sometimes I even start with a 'Good evening', to make the illusion complete. After that, the emotions, the conflicts, everything just flows. And it works. I see my life in a very clear manner, more so than I would otherwise. Of course, sometimes, life becomes too painful to see in its translucent wholeness. So there is a bit of crying, sometimes. Or lots. But it's all good. It's all part of the process.

It could work without the car, I guess, but seldom do I find spaces with such privacy. Imagine what would happen if I started talking out loud at home! Specially with the occasional sobbing involved. Unthinkable.

So today, after dropping off the videos, I just kept on going. I didn't go that far out, just about 13.5 kilometers, then turned right back around and drove some more. I drove around for about an hour, talking most of the time. It felt good. Really good.

Best thing of all? Car therapy is free, unless you count the gas. But when you think that I must've spent about 8 bucks on gas for an hour's worth, it's still the cheapest way to mental health I know.

No comments: