Friday, October 27, 2006

My lousy English

Granted, it's not that lousy. In fact, it's not lousy at all. It's really good. It should be. I've been speaking it since I was five years old. That's twenty-five years.

Of course, I know several school friends that started speaking the language at the exact same time I did and yet are very lousy at it. Here's why: I've worked at it, they haven't. I've taken it to myself to look for ways to practice my English. I buy magazines, I read books, I see movies, I watch TV, I listen to music. Dammit, I read to myself aloud once a day. All that effort has permitted my English skills to endure and thrive.

Now you gotta remember that Kzanderallia isn't an English-speaking country. In fact, maybe less than 5% of the population knows any English at all.

That's why I relish the opportunities I've had to interact with somebody in English. After all, nothing beats a conversation to solidify your language skills. So I talk to foreign people in Skype, I call English-speaking radio shows. I love talking to tourists.

Now, being a good English speaker is a great morale booster. Here's something I always do: before speaking to somebody in English for the first time, I devalue my skills, referring to them as meager or basic. That always prompts people to contradict me and say that I have a really good English for a foreigner. Of course I know that, but hearing them say it propells my ego sky high.

If speaking a foreign language feels good, imagine how speaking two or three will feel. My ego will just soar.

2 comments:

donteatpoop said...

I just want to clarify that I am not saying this due to your opening devaluement of your English skills, but you are damn good.

Until reading this, I had no idea that English wasn't your first language. So don't devalue yourself, at least in text format your English skills are wicked awesome.

Xander said...

Thank you, DEP. But as the post said, I just like to fake modesty about my English skills, so people feel the need to contradict me, thus validating me. It's a bit sneaky, I know. But hey, I work hard to improve my English. I should be able to extract some sort of gratification out of it! Right?