Thursday, September 30, 2004

Tough times

My mother-in-law is going thru very tough times right now.  

Last year, a brain clot got her mom into a coma she will probably never get out of.
Then, about four months ago, her sister died to a very painful form of stomach tumor. She is the second sister to die of cancer.

Two days ago, her father finally passed away, after being bedridden for about a year due to a stroke.

This was very shocking, for this happened almost before my very eyes. I remember leaving the room for just a minute, and when I came back, he was gone.
 
There was a lot of crying and sorrow, but deep down we knew he was going to a better place.  He had been such a gentle soul, funny, talkative, friendly, courteous... The stroke ended all that. During his last year of life, he was little more than a wooden puppet, unable to think or do anything for himself. It broke my heart to see him this way.

His wife was a very funny woman, impetuous and lively. Then the coma turned her into a little wrinkle on the bed. Tragic.

I really admire my mother-in-law. Her faith has kept her together. She is a very strong woman.
So is Ivy. They are a tough breed.


If the need for it ever arises, I hope to be as strong myself.

No comments: